Wednesday 6 January 2016

Adina Raey's 'Fran' in Scarlet


Some may recognise this gorgeous set from my contribution to The Lingerista's October Wishlist. Well, it also made it onto my birthday wishlist over on pinterest. From there my ever so charming husband (who is also my talented photographer for this post) picked up on the hint and gifted me it for my birthday at the start of December. It arrived beautifully packaged in a dusky grey box with the Adina Raey name glinting in gold on top, and from that moment on I've been in love.



This is my first ever full set of red underwear since diving into the deep end of lingerie life. And this isn't just red, this is scarlet. It's a kind of scary colour for someone who's very attached to classic black but I have now been indoctrinated. My dear friend over at Of Lambs and Lace is a self confessed red lingerie addict and I fear I may now be following in her footsteps.

And it's not just the colour that I adore, but also that super soft tulle which feels feather light against my skin. It hugs all my curves without digging in in the slightest. For reference, I have the bra in a 30FF and the suspender briefs in a size Small. I was actually surprised at how supple the set is because it has such a structured look to it.



But here is where a couple of my problems with Fran lie. Now, they're only tiny problems but it does mean my expectations weren't quite met. Obviously the tulle is what gives the set that delicate, luxury look and it's spectacular that Adina Raey have managed to use it in this way for DD+ designs. However, it isn't really the most supportive of fabrics and I don't get much shaping from the bra. As my breasts aren't the perkiest these days I was hoping for a bit more lift and rounding. But alas, it's not to be.

Alongside this, you may be able to tell in a couple of my pictures that the upper band on the briefs is having a bit of a fight with my midsection. Because the fabric isn't quite stiff enough to hold it's own there's a lot of distortion that happens throughout the day as I wear the set. But I think that may be worth it to not have the band cutting in to my stomach constantly.



In terms of fit, both items seem pretty spot on. I would have preferred the bra in a 28G as I prefer a really snug band these days but I completely understand that Adina Raey have already started out with an impressive size range for such a high end brand (30DD-36G), and perhaps they'll expand in later years. Also, because this is such a luxury set it's most likely going to be saved for special occasions rather than day-to-day wear, so I doubt I'll have to worry too much about the band stretching out.

According to the size guide a small is a UK 8-10 which is my ideal high waisted pant size as it accommodates for my proportionately bigger waist compared to my hips. These are definitely well sized in that regard, and the tulle would comfortably accommodate any increase in stomach size from bloating or the like.


My only qualm with the briefs is the length of the removable suspenders. While I knew that suspender briefs are often a risky choice, I went with fashion over practicality when putting them on my wishlist. I don't mind that they pull the fabric of the briefs down a little bit, but I do think they're too long for me. Even if I adjust them to the shortest option.

The same could be said of the bra straps which are only partially adjustable because of some tulle encasing around the front of them. However, I am only 5'3" and what little height I have is in my legs, so I'm sort of used to things like this. I'd imagine a taller person wouldn't have any issues at all.


Even with the few issues I have with the set, I can't emphasise enough how beautiful I feel in it. It's rare that you find such innovative design, combined with luxury fabrics for a fuller bust and I feel so lucky to own these beautiful pieces. I'm very excited to see where Adina Raey take their brand and also if they will eventually expand the size range. If you do fall into their current range and are dissapointed by the lack of high end options for larger busts, then definitely consider Adina Raey's designs. If anyone's feeling generous then I have my eye on the Ava bodysuit in vintage pink....

Thanks for reading. x



2 comments:

  1. Hey, I read this quickly on my lunchbreak and just wanted to come back to say how awesome this set looks on you! It's a shame about the suspender length (wrinkly stockings, nooooooo!) and waistband, but it still looks great anyway. Red is my favourite colour, definitely hoping to add more red sets to my collection in 2016 and will keep this one in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look perfect in this, like a pin-up queen! C did good (both buying and photographing)! It's such a beautiful set

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete